The Shear Escape Team love these heart warming make-overs!
When you have decided it is time and your hair meets the required 10 inches please be sure to notify our support team when reserving your service time so we can be sure to take before/after pictures as well as have the correct timing to re-shape your haircut after the ponytail has been cut.
Shear Escape does not mail your donation as you will receive a letter from Locks of Love for keepsake. Congratulations on your decision to impact a young person’s life.
Q. Can I include pictures with my hair donation?
A. Yes, if you choose to send pictures please e-mail them to firstname.lastname@example.org. All photos must be submitted electronically in order for use on our website.
Q. If I send in pictures, will you post them on your website?
A. We do update our donor gallery from time to time, but cannot guarantee that all the pictures we receive will be posted. We also use photos in our newsletters and post them around our office.
Q. How many ponytails does it take to make one hairpiece?
A. Six to 10 donated ponytails go into one hairpiece?
Q.What is the retail cost of the hairpieces?
A. Between $3,500 and $6,000.
Q. How does a child apply for a hairpiece?
A. Applications are available on our website or can be mailed to you. We need a completed application along with a medical diagnosis, photo of the child, most recent tax return and two letters of recommendation.
All donations must be mailed to Locks of Love at:
234 Southern Blvd.
West Palm Beach, FL 33405
Download your Hair Donation Form today! www.locksoflove.org/HairDonationForm.pdf
Locks of Love is a public non-profit organization that provides hairpieces to financially disadvantaged children in the United States and Canada under age 21 suffering from long-term medical hair loss from any diagnosis. They meet a unique need for children by using donated hair to create the highest quality hair prosthetics.
Most of the children helped by Locks of Love have lost their hair due to a medical condition called alopecia areata, which has no known cause or cure. The prostheses they provide help to restore their self-esteem and their confidence, enabling them to face the world and their peers.
GUIDELINES FOR ACCEPTABLE DONATIONS
- Hair that is colored or permed is acceptable.
- Hair cut years ago is usable if it has been stored in a ponytail or braid.
- Hair that has been bleached (usually this refers to highlighted hair) is not usable. If unsure, ask your stylist. We are not able to accept bleached hair due to a chemical reaction that occurs during the manufacturing process. **If the hair was bleached years ago and has completely grown out it is fine to donate.
- Hair that is swept off of the floor is not usable because it is not bundled in a ponytail or braid.
- Hair that is shaved off and not in a ponytail or braid is not usable. If shaving your head, first divide hair into multiple ponytails to cut off.
- We cannot accept dreadlocks. Our manufacturer is not able to use them in our children?s hairpieces. We also cannot accept wigs, falls, hair extensions or synthetic hair.
- Layered hair is acceptable if the longest layer is 10 inches.
- Layered hair may be divided into multiple ponytails.
- Curly hair may be pulled straight to measure the minimum 10 inches.
- 10 inches measured tip to tip is the minimum length needed for a hairpiece.
- Shorter hair will be separated from the ponytails and sold to offset the manufacturing costs. Although the shorter hair cannot be used in the hairpieces, it still greatly helps to reduce costs.
- Gray hair will be accepted and sold to offset the manufacturing costs.
- Colored hair is not usable if it is colored over bleached hair
OTHER DONATION OPTIONS
CANADIAN CANCER SOCIETY
Minimum requirements: length – 8 inches (20 cm
Send hair by regular mail to the hair donation program of your choice. Include your name and address to receive an acknowledgement.
Pantene Beautiful Lengths
c/o Archway Marketing Services
P. O. Box 434
2110 Kipling Avenue
Etobicoke Station B, ON M9W 5L4
A CHILD'S VOICE
Interested in donating your hair to Angel Hair For Kids? Follow our Angel Hair For Kids hair donation guidelines listed below: